Saturday, June 7, 2014

Dear Lady, Stop Staring at Me!

Dear Lady in Buffalo Wild Wings, 

 Please stop staring at me and my toddler. I know that my adorable toddler just threw an entire basket of fries on the floor, but you staring at me is not helping my situation. 

Yes, I am fully aware of the crying tantrum happening in my midst and your glaring eye isn't helping one bit. I don't know, maybe you expected your boyfriend, sugar daddy, husband or whatever he may be, to bring you out for a nice peaceful dinner, but hate to break it ya but you are at BWW and its a little loud in here. That is one of the reasons we are here tonight. Besides having a gift card, we know that this eating establishment isn't for the faint at heart. It's not the quiet candlelight, look into each others eyes, romantic dinner place. This is one of the few non-fast food restaurants we can go to and I don't have to worry about my very vocal toddler bothering anyone. If the obnoxiously loud TVs blaring isn't enough I'm pretty sure the sporadic cheering and other choice words that are expressed for each bad play, call or score don't bother you are in the right place. 

Yup, I'm pretty sure the table of basketball players or the little leaguers beside us are more interesting, yet your eyes are fixed on me and my toddler as we sit on the floor. My eyes dart at my tot and back at you again as I calmly explain why we don't throw food and try to convince my tot to pick up the fries. You see, we are trying to make this a teachable moment. So stare away, but we will be sitting right here until my miracle baby starts picking up the fries. Stop looking at me like I'm a cruel parent after all it wasn't an accident, the fries didn't slip off the table, they were thrown with force. What can I say, she's got a good arm. 

 My sigh of relief cuts the tension in the air as my girl starts putting the fries back in the basket and looks up at me and says "sorry mama." And as quickly as gravity caused the fries to fly to the floor, the moment was over. My precarious tot was back seated at the table and coloring like an angel. So please stop staring. 

I'm not sure if you know this or not...parenting is hard. It doesn't come with instructions. There are no short cuts, easy ways out or magic spells. It's hard, discouraging and an uphill climb. So maybe instead of staring at me, you could smile. I don't know, offer an encouraging "it gets better" pep talk. Or just ignore the fry flying, tamper tantrum, restaurant ruckus happening over here. After all, I promise not to stare at you every time you pound the table cause your team is loosing. 

 Love,

 a very tired Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment