Thursday, July 9, 2015

Stair counting, sleeping bag, & selfies...

I'm the first to admit I love "Nazarene World" and being with 6,500 nazarene teens this week at Nazarene Youth Conference I'm experiencing so many emotions. It's amazing how I attended NYC in 1999 as a teenager and now in 2015 I'm here with my youth pastor hubby and our C3 teens. 

Overnight trips have a way of triggering my OCD monster yet I am amazed how the Lord has given me peace in the midst of my OCD demons. As we sit in the van waiting to go to our work site I can actually say I'm having a good time. I'm definitely missing my miracle baby and can tell you there are 46 stairs from where we park our van and the hotel lobby. If you don't know counting is an OCD villian for me. 

If you or someone you love has OCD you know there are certain triggers that can cause the obsessive thoughts to derail into compulsive actions. For me traveling and being away from home is a major trigger. I remember crying for hours before every youth trip I went on in as a teenager. Fearful of the unknown, sleeping in an unfamiliar place and all the germs that were out to get me paralyzed me.  Over time I have learned what I need to do in preparation for a trip and during a trip to make life a little easier. One of my favorite things is my sleeping bag. It is the most wonderful thing and helps me sleep away from home. Like a force field of sorts. I love it and the girls in our youth group know not to touch it. I'm thankful for  understanding teens who just look at me like I'm crazy. "You do you, Ashley" one of them said nonchalantly when I pulled it out.

I'm thankful for a hubby who knows me and loves me anyways. His random "are you okay?" questions, good night texts, and selfies make life interesting and make me feel loved. 

Life is good. God is greater than all my fears and is much bigger than any disorder, especially OCD. I am thankful for a God who brings freedom to the captives and restores the broken parts of lives, especially mine. 

I pray that God uses me and this blog to help others know that in Christ there is freedom! I want more than anything for the teens in our youth ministry to experience God's freedom this week.

Im being fully present in the moment...even when surrounded by 6,500 teenagers!



No comments:

Post a Comment