Thursday, January 2, 2014

"Mama, You're a Princess?"


Most days I feel pretty average at best. I was never the homecoming queen, a social butterfly or a fashionista. Don't get me wrong I'm not a plain Jane either. I love to dress up, paint my nails, and go out on dates with my hubby. But I'm also equally happy in my comfy clothes and watching shows on netflix with my hubby by my side on the couch. I guess I'm average.

Last night I realized for the first time that in my daughters eyes I am so much more than average. Last night Addyson saw a picture of me on my wedding day and gasped. She looked at me and asked, well, more like stated, "Mama, you're a princess?" My heart melted and I fell in love all over again with my very curious, expressive, and pacifier addicted toddler. 

We are very much into princesses these days. For Christmas Addyson got a dress up kit complete with tiara, fairy wings, a cowgirl, Snow White, Cinderella, firefighter and a host of other costumes. Since Christmas morning she has spent more time dressed as a ballerina and princess than she has in "real" clothes. She wakes up asking for a princess dress and goes to bed fighting to take off a princess dress and wear Jammie's. She loves princesses.

When she saw the picture of me in my wedding dress and Andy in a tux she saw a prince and princess. Amazing how in that moment God spoke so loudly to me. In that moment I realized that I am so much more than average. In my daughters eyes I'm a princess, a beautiful  princess. In Gods eyes I am so much more than average, I am extraordinary. I am a beautiful creation and to my Creator I am incredible.

 If Addyson sees me as a beautiful princess then I should see myself as one too. In a world of lies, I know the truth. The truth that I am fearfully and wonderfully made by God and he doesn't make anything average. This is a truth I want my precious miracle baby to also know. 

I am responsible for cultivating within her a love for God but also a love for herself and the person God created to be. I need to be intentional in teaching her to love her body and if I don't love mine then I'm not setting a good example to her. So in this new year when everyone around me talks about weightless goals and resolutions I'm going to focus on being the woman God created me to be. I'm going to embrace my inner princess and live fully present in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment